6 Tips to Save for a Down Payment
One of the first steps in the home buying process is saving for a down payment. Before transitioning from renter to home owner, you must typically save between 5 and 20 percent of the home’s value for the down payment.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Develop a budget and timeline. Start by determining how much you’ll need for a down payment. Create a budget and calculate how much you can realistically save each month – that will help you gauge when you’ll be ready to transition from renter to homeowner.
- Establish a separate savings account. Set up a separate savings account exclusively for your down payment and make your monthly contributions automatic. By keeping this money separate, you’ll be less likely to tap into it when you’re tight on cash.
- Shop around to reduce major monthly expenses. It’s a good idea to check rates for your car insurance, renter’s insurance, health insurance, cable, Internet or mobile phone plan. There may promotions available that allow you to save hundreds of dollars by adjusting your contracts.
- Monitor your spending. With online banking, keeping an eye on your spending is easier than ever. Track where most of your discretionary income is going. Identify areas where you could cut back (e.g. nice meals out, movies, clothes, etc.) and instead put that money into savings.
- Look into state and local home-buying programs. Many states, counties and local governments operate offer programs for first-time homebuyers. Some programs offer housing discounts, while others provide down payment loans or grants. Contact your local banker for more information.
- Celebrate savings milestones. Saving enough for a down payment can be daunting. To avoid getting discouraged, break it up into smaller goals and reward yourself when you reach each one. If you need to save $30,000 total, consider treating yourself to a nice meal every $5,000 saved. This will help you stay motivated throughout the process.
Saving money for a down payment, while balancing life’s many other expenses, can be incredibly challenging. However, with a few adjustments, you can put yourself on track to make a down payment on your dream home.
At First National Bank, we are here to help make your dream home a reality. We offer flexible mortgage loan options and personal services to you, our neighbors and friends. You can count on First National Bank for competitive interest rates and some of the lowest closing costs around. Click here to learn more about our mortgage services or to contact a mortgage lender today.