What if Identity Theft happens to me?
Q. What if Identity Theft happens to me?
A: Unfortunately, Identity Theft can strike any of us. If you have been a victim of Identity Theft, here are some steps you can take to minimize the impact:
- Contact your financial institution(s) about the situation and close any accounts that have been affected or that have been opened fraudulently
- Contact the three major credit bureaus, review reports for any other signs of Identity Theft and place a "Fraud Alert" on your credit reports
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- File a police report
- Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission
- 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261
- Identity Theft Clearinghouse, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC 20580
- Document the entire process