First National Bank began as Ames Savings Bank in 1903, located at 216 Main Street.
In 1913, the bank received a National Charter and began its dual operation as Ames National Bank and Ames Trust & Savings Bank. The bank moved into a new home at the southeast corner of Main and Kellogg in 1914.
In 1965, Ames Trust & Savings Bank converted from a State to a National Charter under its present name, First National Bank. Close on the heels of its change in name, First National opened their first branch banking facility in Ames in 1967. The new University Office, located in Campustown across the lake from the Memorial Union, was warmly received by the university community and has contributed significantly to First National's growth in the ensuing years.
On March 29, 1971, First National opened its doors in its present Main Branch located at 405 5th Street. Service to the community continued with the increase in real estate, installment and commercial loans and a Trust Department.
In 1979, a new, larger University Office was constructed just west of the previous location on Lincoln Way, improving the bank's services to Iowa State University and to West Ames.
The North Grand grocery branch relocated to Cub Foods in 1990 and a new North Grand Office opened at the corner of 24th and Grand in 1997. Bank services expanded to include: New Horizons, secondary market real estate loan services, and investment services for the community. As the bank services continued to grow, so did the bank itself, leading to the Main Office's renovation and expansion on multiple occasions during the last decade.
In 2007, the Ankeny Office opened its doors for business, bringing the total number of office locations to four. As First National Bank celebrates over a century of service and success, we'll continue our overwhelming commitment to Ames, Ankeny, the surrounding communities and to you.